GOV.UK Trade Tariff API
The GOV.UK Trade Tariff API makes it easy to access Trade Tariff data from https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff. The data includes commodity codes, duty and VAT rates.
What you can do with this API
The data provided by this API is used on GOV.UK Trade Tariff.
With the Trade Tariff API, you can access Commodity codes, which classify goods for import and export. Commodity codes allow you to:
- fill in declarations and other paperwork
- check if there’s duty or VAT to pay
- find out about duty reliefs and preferential rates
- find out if import or export licenses are needed
- Search by free-form text or
- Scope some API calls by date, i.e.
- Provide resources for all headings and all commodities
- Search for quota measures with criteria, including goods nomenclature, year, geographic area, etc.
This API is useful for applications that incorporate content from GOV.UK Trade Tariff and for keeping that content up to date. It is meant to provide a predictable and stable interface to Trade Tariff data.
The most up-to-date version of this API is version 2 or
Documentation for version 1 (
v1) is available at https://api.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/reference-v1.html.
You can use GOV.UK Tariff API to lookup the data that is used on
To get started:
- Using a tool such as curl,
Postman or your web browser, make a GET
- You’ll receive a JSON response and the fields for this are explained in the reference documentation.
For example, using the curl command line utility tool:
There is a discussion group for the GOV.UK Trade Tariff API. We will use this channel to communicate any changes, updates, and status of the API.
Usage of GOV.UK Trade Tariff API does not require authentication.
The GOV.UK Trade Tariff is updated on a daily basis, however to reduce the number of API calls please consider caching requests for 24 hours.
Security and compliance
If you believe there is a security issue with GOV.UK Trade Tariff API, please contact us immediately.
Please don’t disclose the suspected breach publicly until it has been fixed.
GOV.UK Tariff API follows government HTTPS security guidelines. The Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS), which involves the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, is used by the platform to provide secure connections.
We upgrade the framework and library code in GOV.UK Trade Tariff API to the latest versions for security and feature enhancements.
If you experience any issues or have questions regarding GOV.UK Trade Tariff API please: